The Serennu Children’s Centre opened in April 2011. This beautiful purpose-built Centre provides state of the art treatment and assessment facilities, information and leisure activities for children and young people with disabilities and developmental difficulties in Newport, South Monmouthshire and South Torfaen.
One of the primary benefits of Serennu is the provision of treatment, care, information, consultations and leisure services under one roof. This eases the burden for individual families and provides continuity of care for the children. The co-location on one site of all relevant staff in the key areas of health care, social care, education inclusion and the voluntary sector maximises effective communication and co-ordinated care.
Serennu’s guiding principle is to ensure that disabled children and their families from all communities are fully supported to participate in valued childhood experiences and have access to the same range of opportunities, life experiences, mainstream and community services and facilities as other children and their families. Thus leisure activities for all ages and abilities are provided at Serennu and are given equal priority along with treatments and professional activities.
The Centre also provides a resource point for parents to access support and information and crucially to have the opportunity to meet other parents.
The Centre facilities include:
- multiple consulting rooms for paediatricians and other medical specialists to run clinics
- specialist audiology and Speech & Language facilities
- plastering, splinting and orthotic facilities
- small treatment rooms for individual treatment
- wheelchair training facilities
- purpose built hydrotherapy facilities
- physio gym facilities for individual and group treatment
- large treatment rooms for football and bike skills groups
- specialist technology room
- an ADL suite to assess potential for supported and independent living
- family and sibling facilities
- 3D MediCinema
- leisure and play facilities including a Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) and fully equipped playground
- meeting rooms for users of the Centre plus facilities for catering
So Serennu isn’t just about the treatment that the children and young people will receive. The Centre also provides family centred services to accommodate the needs of parents and siblings too. Through use of the MediCinema and other leisure facilities, the Centre helps families to socialise and enjoy a range of activities in a supportive environment.
If you have any questions or require any further information about the services operating from Serennu, please contact the Centre Manger, Donna Morgan. Donna.Morgan8@wales.nhs.uk or on 01633 748001